Tuesday 21 January 2014

Initial Review of Rune Factory 4

Rune Factory is my favourite game series, even more than Harvest Moon, because in the real world, I collect edged weapons and I love the ability to forge Weapons.  I love the combat against Monsters who can be quite cute and never are killed but rather can be tamed to work alongside your Character or sent back to their original world.  I liked the plots of earlier Rune Factory games.

Rune Factory 4 does share most of the characteristics of its predecessors but suddenly, a new, peculiar element has been introduced in the form of the Obsidian Mansion.  This is a Dungeon that reminds me more of Castlevania than Rune Factory.  I am not certain that I really like it in this context.  It is a very attractive old haunted mansion and special effects are magnificent, including wonderful flashes of lightning, BUT.... Why is this part of Rune Factory?  It really does not fit, in my view.  I know that games exist in their own reality and that developers can shape that reality to suit their particular whims and fancies at any point in time, but it would be interesting to discover how other fans of the series feel about the Obsidian Mansion.  I think it detracts from the integrity of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment